Even as the incident at the palace unfolded, Marzban Saam was directing the defenses at the gates….
Notes under the cut:
Hey folks, long time no update. Happy holidays and hope you enjoy this one! (I have buffer again, but not very far, so still no promises about when the next magical update will show up. :P)
1. Shameless, shameless Giv, as usual, flows back and forth between various registers and levels of (in)formality. I don’t believe the verse he quotes at the very end has any actual historical basis, but the “throne of gold” is definitely a recurring image in the Shahnameh.
2. The deities mentioned in this section are actual Zoroastrian figures.
– Mithra is one of the better known deities (due to the Romans borrowing his name and essentially subjecting him to AU fanfic)
– Anahita is also relatively famous. She’s one of many fertility goddesses associated with water across various cultures.
3. Although I’ve been stubbornly sticking to “the man of the silver mask” and similar awkward phrases to get across the ominous feel of the character thus far (the Japanese literally calls him 銀仮面の男, “the man of the silver mask,” every single time), I gave in and started calling him “Silver Mask” as a formal nickname here, since he’s starting to become slightly more humanized anyway.