first posted: May 2016
last updated: July 14, 2016
– Aug. 6: Probably watching the Olympics or something
– Aug. 24: Hoping to update in September, but am trying to finish up an unrelated professional project before October, so who knows. (Probably won’t be around in Oct. for family reasons, will try to at least update before I leave.)
– Sept. 19: Still busy. Family thing has been postponed, but work has not.
– Nov. 2: Health & RL. Still busy.
– Nov. 9: Oh boy. Depressed by elections. (Yes, in case my nationality wasn’t already obvious.) Still no promises, but seriously don’t expect updates until next year, as a great deal of other things have shot up list of life priorities, including family stuff mentioned above. I’m sure there are other people out there interested in/more capable of translating faster than I am. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
– Jan. 20: Some things in life are more important than translating someone else’s intellectual property without consent from the IP holder.
– March 17: Still alive. If anyone actually monitors this page, I’m actually slightly easier to track on twitter (@snakyscribbles).
– July 3: “Summer of soccer” (also Twin Peaks)
This is not a schedule, because I obviously don’t have one. But now that the series has gotten a resurgence and there may be fans out there who want to translate ahead or whatever, here’s everything I’m planning to translate/have translated, roughly in order of priority:
(I don’t know the exact status of the anime/Arakawa manga, chime in if you know and want me to add a note. Also, if it hasn’t been obvious, a lot of these titles are subject to tweaking haha.)
The Capital Ablaze(Apr 2012 – Feb 2015)
- The Two Princes (March 2015 – ???)
Currently working on: 4-ii (crutch draft 100%; phrasing draft 2/8), 4-iii (crutch draft 100%; phrasing draft 0/3)
+ Afterword(needs some cleanup though)
>> I’m told the French translation covers up to here <<
- The Sunset Elegy
- Road of Sweat and Blood
>> 2015 anime ends here-ish? (skipped the Merlane/Irina subplot?) <<
- Shadow of a Lone Rider
>> original OVAs ended here <<
- A Frenzy of Dust [Season 2 of the anime is titled after this one, who knows what it’ll cover]
+ Afterword [loosely drafted]
- The Capital Retaken
>> End of Part 1 <<
- Dariun side story
>> Part 2 begins <<
- The Masked Army
- A Rotation of Banners
- A Gathering of Clouds [Tanaka jokes about this being the volume with the lowest body count, it’s kind of slice-of-life-ish, relatively speaking]
- Assault of Demons [First book under the new publisher]
- Shrine of Darkness
- The Return of the Serpent King
- Heaven Resounds, Earth Quakes
- The Banners Yet Wave
- one more book?
Timeline from the Reader’s Guide(updating here alongside translated plot developments)
- Character profiles from the Reader’s Guide + author commentary
- “The World of ‘Medieval Persia'” by Ryou Komae: Critical essay in the Reader’s Guide discussing the historical influences on the series
“Pioneers of the Secondary World Fantasy Boom” by Mii Mimura: Critical essay in the Reader’s Guide on Arslan’s role in the history of Japanese SFF (alongside Guin Saga and Lodoss War [and others], one of the early domestic [as opposed to translated/imported] secondary world fantasies) as well as the international heroic fantasy context.(posted here, will probably continue to tweak)
- Loooong Tanaka interview from the Reader’s Guide
- The other afterwords not listed above (3-5, 7-10, mostly uninteresting but sometimes a funny peek “behind the scenes”)
There are some other interviews and essays (even a goofy little comic about Tanaka and his deadline failure) in the Reader’s Guide, which basically covered the first ten volumes of the series, but I’m only interested in the above.
There’s probably been newer interviews and such published since then, so if there’s something interesting feel free to link me or ask about it. Or let me know if someone translates any of the above so I can take it off my list. 😛